Tuesday, March 2, 2010

ROSES, by Leila Meacham

ROSES

(fiction)

by

Leila Meacham


Released as hardback
January, 2010


by

Grand Central Publishing
(www.hachettebookgroup.com)

ISBN: 978-0-446-55000-0

Price:
$24.99 USA
$29.99 Canada


Saga. That's a word to sit curled up before the fire with and enjoy ... usually. This one is a serious contender for the old television series, "Dynasty". Curling up before the fire with it put me to sleep, which is far, far from the usual case where I am concerned.

ROSES is a who-did-what-to-whom-behind-the-scenes-in-the-name-of-money-and-social-standing saga. Pardon me while I snore. I cannot bear such time-consuming stories which, in the end, really go nowhere. They're simply dramatized fictional rumor-mongering, the sort of thing one would hear in twisted dribs and drabs in some half-empty beauty parlor. Real life and real life stories, compared to a good, juicy rumor? Tell it. I'll take a nap.

My apologies to the author; this book is simply not among the sort of books I admire. Best of luck next time, Ms. Meacham. You do have a way with words, and a skill with carrying a complicated tale. It was the content where you lost me.



Special thanks to Hachette Book Group, which provided this book for review free of charge to the independent reader.

For more book reviews, please visit The Fireside Reader at http://thefiresidereader.blogspot.com .


No comments: